October 20, 2017

Another week gone by. Let’s review.
We’re so close to being done with the textbook we use to learn about Illustrator with in this class! We focused mostly on text and logo making this week, which was interesting.. I feel like it’s also something I could improve on. I’ve definitely got my work cut out for me.
I feel like acquiring a skill for feeling out the proper spacing for text to object would be quite useful. An eye for color, too, which I like to believe I somewhat have already… It would seem the graphic designer of today has quite a bit to think about.
Something I enjoyed learning about was clipping layers, but that’s mostly because I already know something about them already. Of course, I typically use them in a slightly different way when drawing digitally, but the concept remains the same. I appreciate something I can comprehend easily.
Aside from clipping layers, we learned about image tracing. I really like the way a limited color tracing looks. It’s a really really neat effect that reminds me of the way a friend of mine does art, and I want to make something with it in the future. I also feel like perhaps there’s a way I can use it to create color palettes, which excites me.
I’m hoping to create a limited color trace of something simple and recolor parts of it.. I feel like I could make some really interesting art and designs in that way.
The shear tool is something we also learned about recently. I’m unsure how to feel about it, because the way it handles is quite odd to me. It’s probably just something I need to practice more. The function it has is quite useful, though, so I hope I can learn to use it more efficiently in the near future.
Perspective grid feature… Ah. I can’t stand it. I don’t understand in the slightest how to get it to move artboards, I don’t understand its full range of capabilities, and I don’t understand how to apply it to things. It’s just so interesting, though – Curses! I’ll have to set aside some time at home to read about it.
We were also showed how to create a sphere. I’m not sure what I’ll use this for, but I’m positive I’ll find something to use it for.
Aside from simple assignments, we’re starting a project in which we design a hot sauce label. I’m absolutely petrified, but I’m going to try my best. Best of luck to the rest of my class in this assignment.
And that’s my week! I missed a blog entry last Friday due to State Fair, but now I’ll be keeping up again.
Catch you on the flip side.

One thought on “October 20, 2017